Thursday, January 26, 2017

Leadership Spotlight: Tara Andersen


1.  How long have you been in the League?

Five years

2.  Tell us a bit about your first JLW leadership experience. What inspired you to lead?

I’ve always had a willing-to-serve approach to taking on new opportunities. My first foray into leadership was as rising chair, and then chair, of the Magazine Committee – which was still called Member Communications during my rising year. A friend of mine, who had been in League leadership for a few years and was actually also my committee chair during my first active year, discussed the possibilities of future leadership with me, and it was something I was definitely interested in pursuing. Knowing a bit about the type of work I am in professionally, she nominated me for a role on the Communications Council. I really enjoyed my time on the Magazine Committee because I was able to grow as a leader and learn about so many different facets of the League, while also putting my professional skills to use for an organization I care about!  

3.  Tell us about the other positions you’ve held and what you’ve experienced through the process of developing your leadership in the JLW.

Being a rising chair and chair on Magazine was a two-year commitment. After I completed my year as Magazine chair, I joined the Community Affairs Council as an assistant council director (ACD). This is the role I currently hold. It’s been fascinating to learn more about some of the League’s critical community efforts while working with others in JLW leadership, including chairs on our council, my council director, and other ACDs across the League. 

4.  Share an example of how your leadership skills have grown or evolved as a JLW leader.

Some of the most valuable training that the League has provided me over the last few years is how to work with people who have styles that are very different from my own. This has helped me both as a JLW leader and in my career as well.

5.  What is the number one piece of advice you would give a JLW woman who is considering a leadership role for the 2017-2018 year?

Talk to your chair more about leadership and what it involves, self-nominate, and be open to opportunities outside of your comfort zone. You may not feel 100% equipped right when you say yes, but the League prepares you well. And you’ll develop new skills and an even better understanding of all the great work JLW does to develop the potential of women and to improve our community!

Are you or someone you know interested in JLW leadership? Nominations for assistant council director and committee chair and rising chair positions and willing-to-serve forms are now being accepted (link to nominating form). Be sure to nominate or self-nominate by February 1, 2017! If you have any questions about the nominating process, contact Brooke Horiuchi. Here are links that provide the 2017-2018 Chair descriptions and  ACD descriptions. Find the Nominating form here.

No comments:

Post a Comment