Thursday, February 14, 2013

Why I Serve - Allison Herron, Chair of Teen Life Club

Serving as chair of the Teen Life Club (TLC) committee is an incredibly rewarding and enjoyable experience.

Around this time last year, when I thought about serving in a leadership role, I thought doing so would allow me to play a more active role in giving back to the community and the Junior League of Washington (JLW) and help me develop leadership skills. Now, a year later, I can say that it has done that and so much more.

This year, I have worked closely with our community partner, TLC, discussing ideas for events and how to make a positive impact on the program participants. I have spent time learning about the lives of the amazing youth and families who participate in TLC. I have also worked with other women in leadership, learning about the wonderful work taking place on their committees throughout the League and continually being inspired by all they do to make the JLW a positive place for all of its members. I have benefited from formal leadership training, hearing great ideas for motivating a team, working to meet goals, and planning projects and events. I have also had such a wonderful time with the other women on TLC - learning from them, having fun with them, and building friendships that I hope will last for years to come. In sum, serving as a leader has given me much more than I could have hoped.

I encourage everyone in the JLW to take advantage of all it has to offer - attend a training or new event, consider leadership, volunteer to do something extra on your committee, or reach out to someone you met at a JLW activity. It may exceed even your best expectations.

One way to explore what JLW has to offer is to attend the Placement Information Events at JLW Headquarters on Saturday, April 13 in the morning or on Thursday, April 25 in the evening (and it's a membership credit)! Check www.jlw.org for additional details.


 Allison Herron, Chair, Teen Life Clubs

No comments:

Post a Comment